Dec 28, 2008

The Kennedy Lounge


Though I can speak very little Korean, I can actually read it. That is, I can read the sounds on the walls all around me, though I don't often know what they mean. But that's not really saying a lot. Anyone can put it together with two hours, a korean alphabet, and an english translation. Still, you would be amazed at how many westerners forego this minor challenge. I personally consider that terribly lazy and inexcusable on their part.

The Korean alphabet translates awkwardly to English phonetics. It is a finite number of simple consonant and vowel sounds. But, like Michael Jordan in baseball, there is only so much stylistic crossover. Very few English words work when put through the Korean word grinder, but that doesn't mean Koreans won't still attempt them. For example, they say my name, Brad, as "Bu-daa-duh." Korean is also interesting because there are several english words that, for whatever reason, they never thought to make into authentic Korean words. They kept pizza, but it comes out as "Pee-cha." They kept guitar, but it comes out as "Gee-ta." They kept lap top, but it comes out as "Notuh-boook." I had a marvelous experience with another Konglish word tonight.

I was out walking my friend's dog (that's a whole other post) and I noticed a lively scene in front of a bar. This place had a nearly-life sized statue of Marilyn Monroe in front of its rustic, wooden entrance. She was in that iconic, Some Like it Hot upskirt pose. Needless to say the whole scene caught my attention. I paused for a second and made an attempt to decipher the name of the joint. My thought process went something like this:

Kay-nay-di... louw-shuh...?
Kay-nay-di... it's Marilyn... ok so it's Kennedy...
Kennedy... lowshuh... Kennedy Lounge? Yes, Kennedy Lounge!

I just can't get over what a true testament the whole thing was to American pop culture. I love that, in a totally non-descript part of a totally non-descript Korean city, there is this gaudy tribute to Norma Jean and our nation's most beloved fallen philanderer.

No comments:

Post a Comment