Dec 31, 2008

My quaint new years eve.


2008's NYE will be a mellow one for me. I am stuck in Ulsan in the bonds of an old promise to watch a friend's dog. Do random acts of kindness still warrant good karma if they were doled out while under the influence? I sure as fuck hope so.

Though, I'm considering hitting the Ulsan scene. There are about a dozen bars I could go to right now, and most likely there would be a good scene there. But is a NYE something worth gambling? The rub is that all my friends are in Seoul... where I would be if it wasn't for Snuzzler the dog (yes, that is his real name). Am I unhealthy and anti-social because I think a night in with good music and delicious glasses of OrJu (above) is a good thing? All you screwdriver (vodka+OJ) fans out there; you need to know that this baby tops it. Get your hands on some Soju (ever-present Korean hooch) and prove me right.

My feeling is that what Ulsan lacks in over-the-top nightlife, it more than makes up for in blue collar charm. For example, a student told me today that most of Ulsan will gather in the morning at my local beach to watch the first sunrise of 2009. She told me that she is, and I quote, "Very proud of Ulsan. I very much like that we can see the first sun of 2009 before other cities." I say damn right Ho-Yeon. If you can be proud of Ulsan, so can I. So screw the revellers. Have your night out. You can find me on the beach come sunrise.

1 comment:

  1. that's badass. i think you struck on my ideal NYE activity: spinning some records (vinyl) and drinking a guiness or 2. good stuff.

    ReplyDelete