Dec 23, 2008

Every guy's favorite chick-flick


Men are notoriously resistant to romantic comedies (or rom-coms as I love to call them). However, I've often had this conversation with my dude friends: "I mean, man, I really hate those chick movies, but I'm always pumped to watch "Love, Actually.") This movie should win a Nobel peace prize. There's so much going on, and yet it's not confusing. So as a result, it's able to pack in something for everyone, and still not alienate stupid people who ordinarily couldn't follow a movie with upwards of 4 story lines.

For the women, you have Hugh Grant becoming entranced by a cute subordinate at 10 Downing st. He's the PM and she's "just a girl", and oh isn't it romantic. For the guys, you've got "dorky Brit" who travels to hearty USA and meets Elisha Cuthbert and Denise Richards. What dude wouldn't want to spend a holiday in the... ir good graces? And that's only two of the, what?, 6 stories... seven stories. They all have merit. They all could be movies in and of themselves.

Furthermore, it's a holiday movie. I'm actually glad I don't have access to "Love Actually" on this, most lonely of Christmases. I would have no problem admitting that I had watched it alone. Though, I would have a serious problem admitting that I shed tears during the "God Only Knows" closing montage, which would invariably happen. So guys of America, if you have your ladies (or fellow guys) around this Christmas, I say dust off a copy of "Love, Actually" and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I must confess I hate it. It's just too much. Not the chick-y-ness. I can quote Spice World to the T. This movie is just too far from reality for me to be able to begin to enjoy it, and no one else seems to feel that way. There's gotta be some other bonafide cynics out there, right?

    ReplyDelete