Dec 17, 2008

HHI and me.


(a view of one section of the HHI shipyard from my roof. The gigantic orange Hyundai "lifts" are part of HHI's three freighter dry docks; the largest in the world.)

Like any great city, Ulsan has several distinct regions, or boroughs for you westerners familiar with New York's sectional breakdown. In Ulsan, each borough is a different "gu". There is Ulju gu, Buk gu, Nam gu, Jung gu, and Dong gu. The first four gu's are in land and have much of Ulsan proper, but screw them. Dong gu is Ulsan's hidden gem. But of course I'm biased because, big surprise, that's where I lay my head.

I love Dong gu because we have the ocean, and life is generally a little more peaceful here. But, like most good deals in life, there's a give and a take. Being the industrial capitol of Korea, if there's a maritime hamlet in Ulsan, it's sure to be dominated by a maritime industry. Let me be specific. Dong gu IS Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI). HHI has the largest shipyard on earth, and takes up 4km of Dong gu's 6km waterfront. It is a veritable industrial monster.

I know this sounds odd, but I've grown to harbor a strange pride in HHI. You can't live in this area and not have daily contact with the workers and their families. In fact, I would wager that a large proportion of my students are HHI children. I think my pride in HHI is inextricably linked with the joy I have in meeting all these people. Thus far, and this is no exaggeration, I've yet to meet anyone affiliated with this company who I didn't enjoy.

So take it from me, the next time you want to buy a propeller for your oil freighter, buy HHI.

(HHI shot from across Ulsan harbor. Again notice the majestic orange lifts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment