Dec 18, 2008

3 Reasons the Pacific Northwest was a musical goldmine in 2008


Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
So right, everyone loves Seattle's Fleet Foxes. Fucking good! I defy any rock and roll fan to listen to any three tracks off their newest album and not feel as if they've made a momentous discovery. No album made a greater leap in stature with me this whole year.

Horse Feathers - House with no Name
Say what you will about its economics, but this album would not be in my library without the itunes music store. I loved Bon Iver's album, I looked at itunes' similar artists, Horse Feathers was there, and I couldn't be happier. "House with no Name" is, in my opinion, in league with any of the landmark acoustic albums of the last 5 years. Is it me, or does Portland, OR quietly have one of the best music scenes in the country?

Moondoggies - Don't be a Stranger
Ah the Moondoggies. What an unfortunate name for such a good band. I have to credit Rolling Stone with their discovery. RS staff writer Austin Scaggs went up to Seattle for an exposee on Fleet Foxes, only to get turned on to this sublime quartet. It only takes one listen to understand any comparisons with "The Band", and while Danko and co. were 10x better musicians, the Moondoggies' sense of melody, groove, and warmth are right on target. I'm beyond intrigued to see where they go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment