Mar 25, 2009

On its way back...


Spring has begun to bring more pleasant temperatures to the northern hemisphere, and with them will surely come any of fall's lingering fashion trends. In Korea, the female fad to beat is the black tights-under shorts-in flats 'look.' I wish I could come up with a catchier reference, but I'm just not that quick. For the record, I'm quite pleased at the idea of this look is coming back. I like dark attire, and I think Korean (read: east Asian) women pull it off better than most. Their hair, their skin, the contrast therein; it all just works. But I also see this look as indicative of a higher social phenomenon amongst young Koreans.

'The tights look' is, to me, a tasteful synergy of the opposing forces present in the lives of most Korean teens. On one hand, the look is showy in a very western way. There is, after all, a lot of leg exposed. On the other hand, all that leg is clad in a stern, conservative black, more befitting to the standards of older generations. I would say it has youth and frump in equal measure. It both teases and scolds (though I believe the former is probably closer to the desire effect).

No comments:

Post a Comment