Mar 27, 2009

From the Bowels of Seattle... TADGARDEN!!!


I am child of the 90's, and I'm also a rock and roll fan. Inevitably that means one thing: I love grunge. That said, I want to go further and say that I was never a Nirvana kid. For better or worse I almost exclusively worship at the alters of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. We all know what Pearl Jam is up to these days. Soundgarden on the other hand went down a much less notorious path. The band quietly broke up in 1997, their drummer joined Pearl Jam, Chris Cornell became a has-been, and the other members slipped into obscurity... until now!

Soundgarden, minus Cornell, reunited in last night to close out the Seattle stop of Tom Morello's (Rage/Audioslave) Justice Tour. It was the first time that the three had shared the stage since parting ways. I love how Morello, one of the biggest rock stars alive, sounds basically as excited as I would while announcing them. Vocal duties fell on Tad Doyle, who I guess is some sort of local rock mainstay in Seattle. He can't sing at all, but his performance probably has more honesty than anything Cornell has done since the 'garden. And listen to Kim Thayil! He's ripping like it's 1995! The whole band really hasn't lost a step.

If they do reunite I hope they don't bring along Chris Cornell. He's a shadow of his former self. Plus the whole affair would become about him. I bet they probably won't reunite though. Matt Cameron is doing just fine hanging out with Eddie Vedder, and I'm sure the other guys are more than staying afloat. What's important is that now we know they could do it, and do it well. What a way to start my weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment