Mar 3, 2009

6 month check-in

So I'm past the half-way mark. 6 months and a few days in Korea, and about the same to go. Recently I've gotten a lot of "Brad, I can't believe you've been there since August! How do you feel?" You know, it's a really interesting question. I've done so much traveling in the last few weeks that I've not really had the opportunity to reflect.

A lot happened in the last 6 years. It has been a period that threw me a lot of situations which undoubtedly changed/built/deconstructed/informed me as a person. I have learned that some people can reflect in the moment, or not long after, and I can't do either - at least with any profundity. No, the most meaningful reflection I'm capable of only comes months after completion. I have no doubt that whatever I learn here will only become clear to me as I'm wading the murky waters of nascent American adulthood.

That said, there are certain things - little, unimportant quirks and beliefs - that I've noticed in myself recently. I'm certain that these are a direct result of my joint admiration and befuddlement over what routinely goes on in the ROk.

I suppose I've noticed that...
a) I love giving utilitarian gifts (something Koreans do at every turn)
b) I would rather not chat during meals (though we'll see how that plays out when I'm sitting amongst English speakers)
c) I'm about 80% more willing to try foods than I was 4 years ago
d) I'm much less reliant on others to keep me entertained (and perhaps simply a more independent person)
e) there are really only certain types of people I'll ever be GREAT friends with
f) I don't read nearly enough. This is a crippling habit that I need to change.
g) my diet in the US was out of control unhealthy
h) I wish I was more stylish
I) any person I date will have to be more mature than me
j) Americans too often compare honesty to cruelty
k) America is a really progressive place
l) I really enjoy taking long term bus trips
m) I am far too reliant on my ipod during long walks... and in general
n) I officially like the ocean/beach as something more than a vacation novelty
o) I'll probably prefer short(er) shorts over long(er) shorts for the rest of my life, despite my unfortunate legs
p) I'm naturally a pretty good distance runners
q) I'm much more comfortable around men who are physically open (not like that!) in that they don't mind a hug, a shoulder grab, a good handshake, etc...
r) I'll have to own a motorcycle at some point in the next 10 years

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I've got for now.

p.s. - That's the closest you'll get to my "25 things about me..." list.

No comments:

Post a Comment