Jul 27, 2009

Those final agonizing breaths...

The end is nigh! I've been saying it for months, but now reality supports the statement. I just finished my first day of summer camp - the only thing that stands between me and 5 weeks of unbridled freedom (Vietnam > Jeju Island > Ulsan finale > Incheon > Washington DC > Woodstock, NY > Boston > VT!!!!! > Mass [Boston? Cape Cod?] > Washington DC). Oh to be young, responsibility-free, and able to pseudo-support yourself!

Knowing that such things lay ahead, in the NEAR future, is truly a heady feeling (Webster's version). That said, completing this gig will not be easy by any stretch of the word. For the next 14 days I will teach approximately 10 classes/day between the hours of 9am and 8:20pm. Moreover, this is not a situation from which I can return home at the end of the day. This camp has sequestered all 30-or-so of us out in Youngsan, Korea - exactly 30 minutes from the nearest anything. And while I'm humbled by saying this, thank god we at least have Internet in our dorm rooms. The inability to mindlessly absorb obscure nothings for a few hours each night might have seriously affected me (though maybe for the better).

Last night was rough. I cowered in my bed just dreading the fact that falling asleep meant waking to the reality of this camp experience. As always, that was a totally irrational reaction. The camp is not so bad. In fact, by a stroke of sheer luck I somehow stumbled into having my own room. I can't tell you how pumped I am about that. I need my space, and the more of it I can have the better.

That luck worked in my favor is both beautiful and completely unusual. Past experiences normally have me getting laughed at for my god awful bad luck. And just so you know, had I not pulled off a little side-dealing, I would have been stuck in a room with a socially awkward, middle-aged, deeply religious, and irrepressibly irritating dude named Joe. All I wanted was to not be HIS roommate, and I ended up somehow being my own.
Though as my father said, I should probably get prepared for some sort of late-arrival to rain on my parade. And if that does go down, you can rest assured that he will have either a) a flatulence issue b) a masturbation issue c) a snoring issue or d) all of the above. If my history is any indication, I best begin preparing his bedding now...

No comments:

Post a Comment