Jul 27, 2009

Jonsi and Alex - Riceboy Sleeps


So lately I can't stop listening to music that sounds the way a beautiful dream feels. Naturally, one would assume I would drift towards Sigur Ros. But, I feel as if I've been there, and it's important to me that I find out if anyone can do it better. While I have made some valuable discoveries in this field (most notably Grouper) my new favorite dream-pop disc still falls within the Sigur Ros stable.

Riceboy Sleeps is the product of Sigur Ros frontman Jonsi Birgisson and his artistic/romantic collaborator Alex Somers. The Ros-ian vibe is almost immediately apparent, and while many will say this is nothing more than a watered-down b-sides cut, I would have to disagree. To me, Riceboy feels like most other breakaway solo works by popular frontmen: somewhat derivative of the original, but not in a way that detracts from the accomplishment at hand (see: A Perfect Circle, David Byrne, Trey Anastasio, Dave Matthews).

This album would be nature's soundtrack during the hatching of a butterfly, if such a soundtrack existed.

Somehow, no matter how loud you play it, Jonsi and Alex's music never impedes the processes of thought or introspection. On the contrary, I would argue it enhances both.

Do yourself a favor; get this album, get some good headphones, and find some time and space to employ one through the other.

Jonsi and Alex - keeping this blog introspective and socially relevant... (God, I love sweaters.)

No comments:

Post a Comment