Jul 21, 2009

Can You Feel It?


The hot, sultry days of summer have most certainly reached Ulsan, South Korea. Summer brings about many things - pummeling rainstorms, longer days, melting ice cream - but none less innocent than the wandering eyes it provokes. Everyone is looking to score. Let's face it: everyone's been prepping their bodies, everyone's used the winter as a prep/rest up period, and summer means game time. This is true for people in most places, but doesn't seem to be the case in Ulsan, at least not as I've seen with many of the Koreans out and about. However, if summer has done anything to this little industrial hamlet, it has unquestionably stirred up the loins of Ulsan's resident Dragonflies.

I'm not kidding when I say that the skies are filled with the horniest dragon flies I've ever seen. They're everywhere, and they're doing everything and anything to make it happen. I've never seen so many of these things in my life, and while at first I was alarmed by their presence, I'm now kind of pumped to have them around. After all, their intentions are probably not that different than mine or some of my more libidinous friends... well, except we're not trying to procreate, so to say.

To give you an idea of their scene, I ran by an ordinary tree today, and I'm dead serious when I say the whole thing was abuzz with the sound of dragonfly love. If you magically transformed that tree into a trailer filled with humans doing what those flys were doing... whoa! It would have been Calligula-esque. I was so taken aback by the sound of their love making chirps, that I literally said out loud, "Oh man! That's so intense!" I kid you not (and I think I got stares as a result). Listen, I'm not an idiot. Clearly, like secadas and other insects, this is the traditional mating season for Korean Dragon Flys. I just can't help but see the parallels between their aims and those of so many of my friends. None of us are as aggressive as these winged studs, but I think there's a shared value... whether they know it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment