Apr 8, 2009

The Grain in my Silo



There's not many things I miss more about America than her cereal. Korea has some good cereals, but I didn't grow up with them. I didn't have them for breakfast every morning, and sometimes at night when I wasn't tired and wanted a decent snack. They don't own a part of my soul. No, they're just with me in the interim, until I reunite with my old crew.

Paramount amongst said crew are Frosted Mini Wheats and Raisin Bran crunch. Mini Wheats are an old standby that many of my peers have had in their pantry for years. They're messy. You don't want to eat them in bed, unless you're very cautious. But make no mistake, they are the most beloved yin and yang in the cereal world.

Raisin Bran crunch is a new player on the scene. They're a rare example of a spin off that works. We all like the original Raisin Bran, but I always felt that, not only were the bran flakes a bit too loose, but the box never had enough raisins. Come on! They're raisins! It's not like I'm asking for more clovers and rainbows in my box of Lucky Charms. Raisins are good for you, and are essential color in a box otherwise filled with monotony. Raisin Bran crunch ended this problem, and then did one better. By adding 'granola'(?) clusters to the mix, Raisin Bran crunch transformed 'your dad's' cereal into a bold new experience, well suited to the ultraviolet tastes of generation Y. Simply put, Raisin Bran crunch is a staggering improvement on a time-tested favorite.

There's a myriad - a cornicopia - of tastes that I miss from back home. Burritos, grilled burgers, avocados, bacon, omelets, good cheese, good milk, bagels, a blt; I hope to consume all of these within a week after my return (and most likely add some gurth in the process). Though as I return to my regular western culinary schedule, most of these foods will become what they had been before: rare treats. This is hardly the case with cereal. I've always been a cereal boy. Maybe that's why I always felt a connection to Jerry Seinfeld. Either way, I love cereal very deeply, and you can be sure that I'll be smiling over my first bowl back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment