Apr 16, 2009

Clear Thinking

One of the joys I've had in Korea has been riding the high speed train that stretches lenthwise across the country. I always heard stories about such trains from friends in Europe and elsewhere, and the idea appealed to me for several reasons. First, I love trains. I love how smooth they are, and I've always found them more relaxing than a car on a long stretch. Second, I love the idea of moving peacefully at high speeds. I mean, who doesn't? Third, the history guy in me likes the idea that they come from a long historical tradition. Trains changed the world, and I'm genuinely pleased that they never faded into antiquity.

But they never caught on in America, and I get that. Cars were America's industry, and owning one was a right of passage for all Americans who considered themselves prosperous. Then 'the war' happened and 'a car in the driveway' became a bar that all Americans were supposed to strive for, prosperous or not. Cars humbled the American passenger rail business, but so did the sheer size of the country. Europe, Korea, and Japan all have successful passenger rail systems, but they're all quite small in comparison. Plus, their cars operate on gas bought at a much higher price than in America. Clearly trains make the most sense in places where distances and gas costs work in their favor, but does that mean we can't try? I have always felt/wished/hoped that trains would make a come back in American popular culture.

Has Obama made this a reality?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/us/politics/17train.html?hp

This is one of these political moves that I find inspiring simply because it appeals to common sense. A bolstered American passenger rail can pretty much do nothing but good, in my opinion. Of course Republicans will disagree with the idea because it's too New Deal-y, but screw 'em quite frankly. Anyway, check out the article...

I'll leave you with this passage as a clear example of why I love our president and the way he thinks...

"What we need, then, is a smart transportation system equal to the needs of the 21st century,” he said, “a system that reduces travel times and increases mobility, a system that reduces congestion and boosts productivity, a system that reduces destructive emissions and creates jobs.”

And he added, “There’s no reason why we can’t do this."


Bad ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment