Feb 4, 2009

The Tokyo in my Mind

Last week I went to Tokyo and had a collective experience that I will never forget. I saw and did things that seared themselves into my being, and I'm thrilled about that. This is a city everyone should hope to see. You should be so lucky, and believe me, I remind myself of that every day. I've had several discussions about Tokyo subsequent to my return, and they've dredged up summations that I don't think I could have otherwise thought of. For example, in talking to my parents I realized that Tokyo is, in my opinion, at a point where the past, present, and future all meet in harmony. I think you will see this. To put bluntly, Tokyo is an orgasm of everything that is titillating to the senses, but not in the gawdy way that Vegas is. It's bright, it tastes great, it smells great (depending on where you are). It feels whole in every sense. Nothing is left out, and nothing is short changed (including the prices).

The blogosphere has put me in a tough spot right now. There's just no way I could do justice to my experience in a way that wouldn't bore you more than I already have. So... I'm going to give some snapshots of moments that really explode in my memory. Here we go...


Tsukiji Fish Market - She feeds 60% of Tokyo's 3,000 sushi shops alone. I saw things there I didn't believe were real, and I still don't. After an hour there you won't even be surprised by the sight of small men cutting apart frozen tuna with band saws. The tuna, by the way, are often heavier than the men handling them. The market is also lined with small sushi stalls at which you can actually eat fish that were in the water a day or two ago. It's a wet dream for a sushi nut.

Yodobashi Akiba in Akihabara - At Yodobashi, the largest electronics store in the world, you can find every piece of tech merch possible. Literally, they sell everything from binoculars to toy cars to ceiling lights, and in massive quantities. It would be impossible to convey its size, so this picture of its mouse collection will just have to do. Beyond Circuit City. Beyond Best Buy. Yodobashi.


Shibuya Crossing in Shibuya - Here you find the largest crosswalk in the world. Shibuya crossing is essentially Times square, but in a much smaller space, and with way more people. Though, despite the crush of people, it is hardly disorganized and never, in my opinion, too much. The crossing is just the center of an entire maze of streets filled with Tokyo's trademark neon, and with her youth culture as well. Japan's youth is incredibly vibrant, incredibly artistic, and generally way ahead of the game in many respects. I personally felt that everything I saw in Shibuya was just as exciting, if not more, than anything I've seen in New York city.

(photo: J.C.M)
The Food - Tokyo's food is exquisite. Yes, you will pay big for it, but the returns are mighty. Sushi lovers needn't look anywhere else. This is mecca. The fish melts in your mouth like warm butter, and that's not trite simile, that's the god's honest truth; ask anyone who's been there. You'll see what I'm talking about in any one of these nondescript conveyor belt joints. Sit there, order an Asahi, and wait until your catch(es) come rolling by at 8cm/second (the actual speed at which all sushi conveyor belts are supposed to move). You'll leave full and you'll want to do it again in an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment