Jan 31, 2009

Yangsan winter camp

As all of us public teachers must, I took part in a "winter camp" two weeks ago. I started out dreading the experience. I wanted my vacation, and working half days in the city had not allowed that to happen. So now you're telling me I have to sleep in a college dorm in hilly, rural Korea, and teach 8 hour shifts for a week? This was the prognosis, and it seemed grim to me.

The reality was totally different. It turned out that I really needed a break from Ulsan city life; a little fresh air to do me good. Most importantly, I loved the kids. They all more or less wanted to be there. Furthermore, I found that my colloquial, high-energy brand of teaching gave these kids a break from the the more rigid instruction they had received in the past. I suppose you could call it mutual admiration society. We both appreciated each other's desire to please.

I've not any GREAT stories from the experience, but I've not any terrible ones either. The Yangsan winter camp gave me a perfect, steady, work filled few days before the onslaught of chaos known as Tokyo (posts forthcoming).

Downtown Yangsan

the dorms


No comments:

Post a Comment