Jan 8, 2009

Unforgiven


I just cut two amazing hours out of my day to watch Unforgiven. This movie is damn close to perfect. I found myself thinking, "wow I need more Clint in my life. I need more Freeman in my life. Especially, I need more Hackman in my life!" Amongst the many accolades I would throw its way, is the fact that Freeman's race is never discussed. There's not another person of color in the picture, but, even in the bigoted world of early 19th century Wyoming, nobody ever refers to Freeman's character as anything other than Ned. This is a tiny detail. And though it may be wholly historically inaccurate, I believe it's a tribute to Eastwood's supreme originality.

Oh yea, I love how Eastwood's character, a former drunk who's thoroughly tea-totaled, refuses drink after drink, but lunges for the bottle only as he finds out... oh, I won't ruin it for the uninitiated. Just watch out for the scene with Clint and the Kid under the tree... the whole scene. Clint finally unleashes Munny. I could discuss that scene for two hours non stop. I actually rewound it three times.

No comments:

Post a Comment