Jan 4, 2009

Luscious libations.

I am now, and always will be a beer drinker. Sure I like a glass of red wine, or a nice riesling on a summer day, or even a syrupy Maker's on the rocks. I like these drinks, but I love beer. I can't hide it, so I might as well just embrace it. Sure, there are times when I drink beer excessively. But I think it's very important to emphasize that any moments of excess should not convey a toss-off attitude about the beverage itself. A truly great beer should never be consumed at excess. No, it must be tasted, embraced, communed with, and considered.

I spent my college years [a loathsome statement when used in the past tense] in the great state of Vermont which, amongst other things, has a bevy [no pun intended] of ornate microbrews. Beer drinkers in Vermont are outrageously spoiled. I think you can only know this if you travel to a place, like Korea, that appreciates beer as a narcotic and not a compliment. Vermont beers are marvelous and I will always miss them when they're not at my disposal. For those of who are interested, I've provided you with a small, emotional overview of just a smattering of VT's hoppy offerings.

Long Trail - The Standby

Magic Hat - The Hometown Hero

Switchback - The Recluse

Trout River - The Woodsman

2 comments: