May 14, 2009

Over the Top


I can't attest for the older set, but I can say this: elementary-age Korean girls love arm wrestling. Well, sorry, all elementary school kids - at least at my school - love to arm wrestle at any turn. I remember this being the case in the US as well. But, I don't remember the girls ever going to palm to palm back home. I couldn't tell you why exactly, it just never seemed like something that was happening - or expected. So right, not the case in Korea.

I bet I can glance up from this screen and see two girls wrestling right now: yep. And it's not a joke for them. It's not like they would do it to impress/entertain a group of boys. My experience shows me that elementary age girls in Korea want 100% nothing to do with boys. It really seems like they detest them, though we all know that's hardly the case. No, these girls go at it to see who's stronger. They're arm wrestling purists, if you will. Though part of me thinks it's more of a self-entertainment thing. It could be that they're seated, maybe a little bored, and an arm wrestle tides them over. I would love some thoughts on the matter. Either way, I've never seen so many wholly earnest female arm wrestling mathces in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment