May 14, 2009

A Harsh Reminder


Recently I've been thinking a lot about eating Korean food when i arrive back on US soil. I've grown enormously connected to the food here, and having access to it back home will be an invaluable part of my transition. So I took to the internet to see what my options looked like in the Washington D.C. area. Luckily Korean food is plentiful there, even confusingly so. I don't even know where to start.

While that is a comforting fact, my search has also drummed up unpleasant reminders of the world I am returning to in 3 short months. Koreandc.com is a website that has basically everything a Washingtonian would need if they were seeking out local Korean options. This includes a restaurant listing, and message/review boards for all the places listed. On one board - that for the Han Sung Oak Restaurant - I viewed this exchange.
My sisters and I ate there recently and was greatly disappointed. The service by the waitresses were horrible. In the middle of taking our order, she goes to the table next to us and wait on them. Being Korean ourselves, we've expected better. The food was not even worth it. Never would go back! - Kyung


Kyung. You are stupid. You think that just because you're korean, you should have gotten better service? I'm black, and when I go to South East, I get robbed just the same. FOOL! Besides, this food is awesome! I usually don't eat asian food, but momma told me to try everything at least once! I love that damn KALBI and BULGOGI. That stuff, when you wrap some of that KIMCHEE around that...MMM MMM. I say this again, Kyung, you are really stupid...and so is your momma. - PeteDog
*note - South East is a notoriously rough, heavily black area of Washington.

I love Han Sung Oak, and if ever saw someone like Kyung there being a lil punk, I'd kick his ass. You better buy me a shot when I see you at the clubs, or you're gonna get it. Ahn-young... - HyungJoo


I can't quite pinpoint why this whole exchange bothers me so much. You know, it's probably not that any of them are being out of line. They all probably have legitimate points to be made. Some restaurants subtly favor clientele with the ethnicity of whatever theme they may have. Some restaurants don't. And some restaurants don't give a damn either way. That's all common sense.

I guess what strikes me the most about this whole thing is the bravado oozing from PeteDog and HyungJoo. People just don't talk/act like that here, and I've become accustomed to it. Do I act with bravado and disprespect sometimes? Sure. But does that mean I can't wish to be more reserved and respectful? Absolutely not. Korea has instilled this in me. I guess I've been gone for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment