May 25, 2009

Dynamic Ulleung-do


There's not many places in Korea I want to visit more than the island of Ulleung. Korea's two major island destinations are Ulleung and Jeju - with the former being the less travelled, less exotic, and generally less appealing option. It is for this reason that I'm excited to go there.

Ulleung's main draw to Koreans, ironically, is another island. It is only from Ulleung that you can access Dokdo - Korea's football field-sized land dispute with Japan. Koreans are obsessed with Dokdo, but I detailed that in a previous post. I imagine I will be one of the few on my trip who has really no interest in taking the viewing tour of the embattled island, and I couldn't be happier about that.

Ulleung fascinates me because it is a perpetually overlooked island community in a country that gives no mind to also-rans. There's almost no appreciation for hidden treasures here, and I find that stifling. That's what Ulleung is to me. Or, at least what I hope it will be. I have no idea how I'll make it up there with my schedule, but I'm damn sure going to try.

Anyway, Korea's 'official' tourism website has a write-up that is not to be missed. Readers take note: this is a typical Korean tourist propaganda. Nobody here has any sense that Korea's English tourism slogans are totally bizarre. For example, Korea's national English slogan is 'Korea Sparkling.' What?! The city of Busan went with this gem: 'Dynamic Busan.' Again, what?! Hey, they're trying, and that's what matters. I must always remind myself that. Sorry, I digress. Here's the first paragraph of the tourism website's write up. It's certainly not what sold me, but maybe some other people out there will get pumped about Ulleung's 'three fews, and five manys.'

A mysterious island full of dreams and romance, Ullengdo can be reached by a three-hour ferry ride from Mukho or Pohang. It is famous for being a land of three fews and five manys: there are no thieves, pollution, and snakes, but many Juniper trees, beautiful women and stones as well as much wind and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment