Aug 25, 2009

The Mountain Goats - International Small Arms Traffic Blues


I recently saw a friend tweet (I'm assuming you're aware of Twitter.com) about a band called The Mountain Goats, and I became curious. To be honest, I'm not above being interested in a band because their name conjures up cool images. But beyond that embarrassing aspect, I remembered quickly reading something about them being folk-y and minimalist - two scenes that will always earn a listen from me. Thanks to the casually illegal nature of internet music trading, I was able to grab one of their albums not 5 minutes later. It's folk-y and minimalist and everything I dig about the far flung progeny of Elliot Smith. Moreover it has one of the coolest allegorical songs I've ever heard. Here's a snippet...

Our love is like the border between Greece and Albania
Our love is like the border between Greece and Albania
Trucks loaded down with weapons
Crossing over every night
Moon yellow and bright
There is a shortage in the blood supply
But there is no shortage of blood
The way I feel about you baby can't explain it
You got the best of my love

check out the full tune in all its glory at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_0nROFZDvQ&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment