Jun 2, 2009

Answer me!

Three weeks ago I began teaching two evening classes at another school three times a week. These classes certainly make those days very long, but the kids are sweet and very engaged. Though I'm definitely TIRED at the end of these days, it's a real treat to hang out with some of these young'uns.

Ok, rewind three weeks to my first day. I arrived 30 minutes early for a small intro/orientation, and then got put in a classroom with a typed list of questions to ask my new students - who are all in the 4th to 6th grade range. That means none of them have been learning English for more than 3 years - keep that in mind.

These 20 questions were supposed to guage both their listening and speaking ability. I didn't end up using any of them. Here's a smattering of the 20 - I hope they convey the point I'm trying to get across.

Remember, the organizers of these classes prepared the questions in advance, assuming they were level-appropriate. I'm also not paraphrasing. The questions below are directly from the sheet, which I saved for this very opportunity.

1. What is the difference between western culture and Korean culture? (This could be a college essay).
2. What is the biggest stress in your life?
3. What country do you think will become a world super power in the future? Why?
4. Talk about a habit you have tried to break or foster.
5. What do you think is the biggest problem in Korea? Why?
6. What are some bad things about your personality?
7. What kind of food do you usually eat? Do you think the way you eat is healthy?
8. Does your father smoke? What do you think about smoking? (notice there is no hint at a mother being able to smoke...)

I hope this says something to you about the amount of pressure these kids have to learn our language. I give so many of them my utmost respect and admiration, because the truth is I - even as a 23 year old man - could not handle what they do on a daily basis.

p.s. - Hardly any of the beginner students could correctly answer when their birthday is.

No comments:

Post a Comment